categories: Re: Adjoints in bicategories

Here is a list of a few references I have on hand that are related
or somewhat related to your question. This list is not intended to
be complete and I hope others will add more references and/or details.

John MacDonald, Department of Mathematics
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, B.C., Canada V5K 1N4

[1] R. Blackwell, G.M.Kelly, J.Power, Two-Dimensional Monad Theory, Sydney
Category Seminar Reports 1987.

[2] M.C.Bunge, Coherent Extensions and Relational Algebras, Trans. Amer.
Math. Soc.197(1974), 355-390.

[3] J.W.Gray, Formal Category Theory: Adjointness for 2-Categories, Lecture
Notes in Mathematics 391, Springer-Verlag 1974.

[4] C.B.Jay, Local Adjunctions, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 53(1988),
227-238

[5] G.M.Kelly, Elementary Observations on 2-Categorical Limits, Bull. Austral.
Math. Soc. 39(1989), 301-317

[6] G.M.Kelly, R.H.Street, Review of the Elements of 2-Categories, Lecture
Notes in Mathematics 420, Springer-Verlag 1974, 75-109.

[7] J.L.MacDonald, A.Stone, Soft Adjunction between 2-Categories, Journal of
Pure and Applied Algebra 60(1989), 155-203.

[8] R.H.Street, The formal Theory of Monads, Journal of Pure and Applied
Algebra 2(1972),149-168.